Head of Operations – Elephant Protection Initiative
26th July 2021
Active Steve of flickr
DetailsThe Head of Operations will take responsibility for EPIF’s day-to-day operations, and work closely with the CEO as the strategic lead for all operational structures and processes.
Role title: Head of Operations
Organisation: Elephant Protection Initiative Foundation
Closing Date: 09/08/2021
Role Location: UK, Europe, or Africa
The Elephant Protection Initiative (EPI) is a unique pan African alliance of currently 21 member countries, determined to conserve their elephants whilst meeting the aspirations of their people.
EPI countries cover the majority of Africa’s remaining elephants, with common policies on elephant conservation. This includes committing to implementing the African Elephant Action Plan (AEAP), a blueprint to save the species agreed by all elephant range states in 2010; putting ivory stockpiles beyond economic use; closing domestic ivory markets; and maintaining the 1989 international ban on the ivory trade.
In 2020, the EPI Foundation (EPIF) adopted Vision 2030, in recognition of the growing challenge of human-elephant conflict, and its increased emphasis on supporting EPI countries prevent and mitigate this conflict. The EPI Foundation Vision 2030 focuses on the harmonious co-existence between people and elephants, whilst continuing work to meet the objectives of the EPI declaration.
About the role
This role is responsible for the alignment of Secretariat activities to strategic goals, management of the organisation’s grant portfolio, ensuring the proper implementation of governance structures, and working with the team to help coordinate the effective delivery of support to member states.
The role also envisages establishing and growing funding opportunities, including through proposal development and donor relationship management.
• Work closely with the CEO to provide oversight and ensure accountability for delivering the organisation’s operational and strategic goals.
• Review work processes and capacity, suggest and implement improvements as appropriate, including developing ways to build internal professional development and effective engagement with partners.
Fundraising and Grant Portfolio Management
• Develop and draft proposals, and identify new opportunities for funding.
• Ensure compliance with contractual obligations, adherence to reporting requirements, and draft grant reports.
• Manage tracking of EPIF’s progress, including collation of targets and monitoring and evaluation.
• Support the CEO in the nurturing of donor relations. General Operations
• Ensure compliance with all statutory legislation, governance, policies and legal processes are robust, well managed and in line with best practice.
• Facilitate cross-team collaboration and regular team meetings, ensuring alignment of
• Working with the CEO and Head of Finance, oversee the human resources and provide HR support as required (plan recruitment, development terms of references, and induction of new team members).
• Oversee the delivery of workplans and timesheets for staff, consultants and interns.
Governance / Secretariat Implementation
• Act as a key point of contact, draft and deliver Secretariat updates to NGO partners and member states, through National Focal Points, Council of Ministers, and Heads of Post network.
• Support the coordination and logistics of EPI member state meetings, and represent the organization at international conferences as required.
• Coordinate, prepare Board documentation, and attend Board meetings.
• Oversee and update external outreach materials and information documentation as required.
Essential Experience and Skills. You must have a proven track record of:
• Fluency in English, written and spoken.
• At least an undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
• At least 5 years’ experience in an international organisation, charity, NGO, or with government (ideally with African stakeholders).
• Demonstrable experience in senior project management or operations role.
• Successful fundraising, including managing donor relations, proposal development, grant portfolio management and reporting.
• Building and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse external contacts.
• An understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) systems and producing impact reports for funders, members and stakeholders.
• Excellent inter-personal skills with an ability to build and maintain relationships internally and externally in remote working situations, including influencing, negotiating, and coaching.
• Strong ICT skills, and ease with basic Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Uses initiative and takes a positive approach to problem solving.
• An enthusiastic and committed self-starter who can work well independently.
Desirable Experience and Skills
• Drafting and reviewing contracts and organizational policies.
• Overseeing a charity’s compliance with all legal and governance requirements.
• Knowledge of the environment/ conservation sector.
• Ability to work in French, written and spoken.
If you are looking for a rewarding post with exciting opportunities to develop experience in African conservation efforts, within a dynamic and innovative team, and have the necessary skills and experience, we want to hear from you. Please send a cover letter of maximum 2 pages, outlining your suitability for the role and with reference to the above Experience/Skills requirements, and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header Head of Operations by the Monday 9th August 2021 at the latest. Early application is encouraged, as candidates may be interviewed prior to the deadline.
Application Download: Download application form